Sometimes, all it takes is a simple idea to get students excited about their writing projects.
In our many years of publishing students’ stories, we’ve collected ideas of that children like to write about that we’re glad to share with you. Below are lists to help you help your students.
made up creatures
my favorite things
what I like about. . .
The list goes on and on. . .
All About Me
First Day of School
Fourth of July
Learning to Drive
Queens & Kings
Riding the Bus
St. Patrick’s Day
Teeth (Losing Them)
“Thank You” Book
When I Grow Up
Yin & Yang
100 Days of School
- Favorite color
- Favorite things to do at school
- Favorite pet or type of animal
- Favorite foods to eat
“I’m Excited About Going to Kindergarten Because…”
My Preschool Friends Are…
Counting from 1 to 10
I Know My ABCs
What it’s Like to be Three, Four or Five Years Old
I Love My Mom and Dad Because…
I Know How to Draw Shapes
A is for _____, B is for ______, C is for _______, etc…
At The Playground, I Like to…
I Will Miss Preschool
Words that Rhyme with “_________”
- Pick a word, and rhyme it with several words with illustrations of each world.
On the Playground, I Like to….
My Class Took A Field Trip, and This is What we Saw
What I Like to do in Kindergarten
My Favorite “Special” or “Center” is…
My Favorite Vacation
When I Grow Up, I Want to be a…
My Favorite Holiday
All About the Day I Lost My First Tooth
I Can Write!
- Students write words in their own handwriting, accompanied by illustrations of those words.
My First Day of Kindergarten
- A book of advice to kids who will enter kindergarten next year, written in the words of the kindergartner.
- At first I was scared, but then it was fun!
- I made lots of new friends!
Getting Ready for School Each Day
- This is what I do to get ready for school. (Example: “First, my alarm goes off. Then, I get dressed. Next, my mom gives me breakfast, etc…”)
- What the school did to celebrate.
- How the day went… “We made boxes, and delivered valentines to everyone in the class, etc…”
A Book of “How To Do Something…”
- How to make cookies
- How to make your bed
- How to be a good friend
- How to pack your lunchbox
My Favorite Author Is __________
When I Was in Kindergarten I Couldn’t ________, but Now I Can!
My Family is Important to Me Because…
Important Historical People
- George Washington was an important person because…
- Martin Luther King, Jr. was an important person because…
- Christopher Columbus was an important person because…
- Abraham Lincoln was an important person because…
Last Summer I…
- Went to camp…
- Went on vacation…
- Played with friends…
- Learned to swim…
I Live in (Name of State)
- Important historical facts about the state.
- Fun things to do in the state.
- I like living in this state because…
I Have a Pet ______ or, I Want a Pet
- How to take care of a pet… or, how I would take care of a pet
- How to keep a pet healthy and happy.
My Class Took a Field Trip to….
- What the day was like from start to finish.
- Some of the important/interesting facts that were learned were…
- I want to go back there again!
- A book of several short poems or a book of one long poem.
- A book of phrases that rhyme with the title of the book, accompanied by illustrations of the phrases.
Second Grade is Going to be Great Because…
What I Liked Best about First Grade
Retell a book read in class
- A re-told story, in the student’s own words.
Write About a Scene using the five senses
- After looking at a scene, such as the playground, they write about everything they saw, heard, tasted, felt and touched. (Such as… kids playing, birds flying in the sky, the smell of fresh air, the sand in the sandbox, sounds of laughter, etc…)
- A biography of an important historical figure
- A biography of a family member written after an interview.
Why Do We Celebrate…?
The Fourth of July
Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
When I Grow Up I Want to Be a _______ Because…
We Need to Recycle Because…
In 25 Years, This is How the World Will be Different
Our Class Experiment
- A story abut a science experiment that the class performed.
All About Me
My Favorite Hobby is…
- A particular sport…
- Collecting something…
Once Upon a Time in a Faraway Land…
- A known fictional story
- A made up story
If I Could Go Anywhere in the World, I Would Go to __________
A Book of Synonyms and/or Antonyms
- Choose a word, and come up with 10 synonyms or antonyms of that word – using the book to write out the words and draw illustrations of the words.
A short fiction book about a favorite character from a known book, written about what he/she might do outside of the original story.
A new ending for a favorite fiction book.
Research a Topic
Research about and interesting topic using reference material from the library.
I Like to ______________ With My Friends
A Letter to an Important Historical Figure
- Example: Dear Abraham Lincoln, I think you were a good president. Thank you for freeing the slaves. Etc…
- A shorter version of a book that was read to the students.
A Custom/Ritual that My Family Has is…
My Favorite Vacation
Neighborhoods Are Important Because…
- In my Neighborhood We…
- My neighbors work together to…
My Favorite Way to Earn Money Is…
- After I earn money, I like to spend it on…
I’m a Good Citizen Because…
If There Were No Computers, the World Would be…
A Fictional Book About an Animal that Goes on an Adventure
How My Pet Got It’s Name
What It’s Like In Outer Space
The Mystery of the Missing _____________________
- Fiction book about kids in search of a missing object.
- Non-fiction book about how something got lost and/or found.
My Favorite Board Game Is…
- Instructions on how to play and win the game.
Once Upon a Time a Class took a Field Trip
- A fictional book about a class that goes on an exciting field trip.
- A thank you letter in the form of a book to someone who did something very nice for the student, for the class or for the school.
- Book about what the students learned from a guest speaker.
The Most Important/Interesting Story In the News This Year Was…
A Summary of My Favorite Chapter Book
Why Is the Grass Green and the Sky Blue?
- Explained in scientific terms
- Explained in creative terms
What Does it Mean to be an American and Live in a Free Country?
A Week In The Life Of ____________________
- A diary/journal.
Will Humans Ever Live in Space?
Someday I Will Change the World by…
My Hero is….
On Thanksgiving, My Family Likes to…
Someday, I Will Visit (name a country or city)
- Opinions of current events
- Book of their opinion of how to handle one of the world’s problems.
A Book of Self-Written Haikus
A Science Experiment
From Hypothesis to conclusion.
A Fable, Fantasy, or Make-Believe Story.
A creative answer to a question with no real answer
- Examples: How the leopard got its spots, How the turtle got its shell, How the horse got its mane, how the bird got its wings, how the armadillo got its coat of armor, etc…
The Similarities and/or Differences Between two Objects, People, Places or Things
Middle School Is Going to Be Great Because…
If I Were President of the United States, This is What I Would Change…
- Answering a questions such as: “Why are Leaves Green?” “What Causes Thunder?”
Summarization of an Event that was Recently Attended
A fictional story with a beginning, a plot and an ending.
- Example: “Once upon a time there was a lonely girl who wanted a friend. One day, she was walking by herself to the park and out of nowhere appeared a giant blue talking bird who picked her up and took her …”
Letter to the Editor
- Written to the newspaper a magazine or a news show.
Story about a Favorite Movie or TV Show Episode
A Descriptive New Ending to a Favorite Movie
The Most Important Things I’ve Learned in Elementary School
Middle School and High School
One Side of a DebateExample: “I Think People Should Drive Electric Cars Because…”
- Fiction or non-fiction
Book of Self-Written Poetry
Someday I Will Change The World (and this is how)…
After I Graduate from High School I Will…
Being a Teenager is Tough